Tuesday 18 July 2017

Mini-review: How to live: A user's guide

Johns' succinct self-published guide was originally meant for his teenage daughter on her eighteenth birthday. It contains his accumulated wisdom on the topic of life and how to live it.  It's straightforwardly written and touches on most of the major topics you'd expect it to:
  • How to live a fulfilled life
  • How to deal with other people
  • How to manage yourself
  • What it means to be human
I've read a few books on how to lead a worthwhile life, and this is as good as many of them. I picked up the following new ideas:
  • Anyone can be a mentor. Even if you never speak to them as you can simply try to emulate what they do.
  • Changing probabilities into days, weeks and years. So one in a thousand becomes roughly once every three years. Good for assessing risk. 
  • Never believe in something 100% to avoid being cheated, becoming too dogmatic etc. 
I wonder how this was received by his daughter.

Personally, I think I would have greatly appreciated such a guide as I was starting out in life - even if I didn't necessarily decide to follow all of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment