Friday 7 July 2017

Mini-review: Calm Down!: Step-by-Step to a Calm, Relaxed, and Brilliant Family Dog

I don't have a dog, but I regularly encounter them while out running. Most are friendly, but there's a couple who are not so I have a vague interest in how to manage or even reform them.  This was a Kindle freebie so I thought I'd read it to get an insight into dog behaviour.

The key insights were:
  • Regular treats are great behavioural tools. Up to 1 every second or so for new behaviours. 
  • Let the dog discover the desired behaviour which results in a treat. 
  • Rewarding partial behaviour initially is OK. 
  • Use treats rather than punishment to reinforce the behaviours you want to see. 
It's probably not going to help with the causal encounters I have as I can't treat those dogs in  sustained way, but maybe it can be applied in another way. 

I also wonder if this can be applied to humans...

No comments:

Post a Comment