Wednesday 23 August 2017

Thought: Four tips for happiness

The Ladder has a nice summary of how you can hack your mind using neuroscience research to make yourself happier. Essentially, it boils down to four tips:

  • Get plenty of long hugs.
  • Ask yourself what you are grateful for.
  • Go for good enough when making a decision.
  • Label negative thoughts.

It turns out I'm doing fairly well with these tips.

The missus insists on plenty of hugs, and she will be pleased to learn there's solid science behind her requests.

I have recently begun a gratitude diary as part of my morning habit stack. It's quite reassuring to learn that it is the act of asking what you are grateful for which makes the most difference. This is because some of my gratitude statements are, frankly, bizarre. I am grateful for my clean carpets anyone?

As a fan of 80/20 and lean startup principles I long ago ditched perfection in decision making.

My regular meditation practice quite often encourages labelling of thoughts as "thought" and letting them drift on by.  It has yet to become an instant goto response though.

How are you doing on these happiness habits?

No comments:

Post a Comment