Sunday 3 February 2019

Review: Fast and Furious 8

My first Fast and Furious film nearly swore me of the series for good - and even after viewing this rather better entry in the series, I'm still baffled at the appeal. The B-list cast are all looking their ages now, the plot has a few decent sized holes and the stakes never feel particularly high.  For a massive franchise such as this, it all feels rather cheap.

But it doesn't take itself too seriously - and there's a few comedic interludes, especially from Statham and Gibson which suggest the script has been tuned since the last one I watched. It also benefits from Theron, Russell and Mirren providing grounding and credibility in supporting roles.

Lastly, the pictured submarine sequence makes it almost worth the entrance fee - providing you have suitably invested in the characters.

Verdict: Worth breaking my previous fast for.

No comments:

Post a Comment