Tuesday 28 August 2018

Review: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Watching Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 reminds me of being an eight year old again. Picture a school classroom, an overflowing box of discarded dot matrix printouts from the local college and a class of youngsters being allowed to draw what they liked. My drawings tended to legions of space battleships with increasingly complex designs and battles. By the end of the exercise, the paper would be covered in explosions, weapons tracer lines and I would feel deeply satisfied that justice had been done.

I only had pencils and occasional felt tip pen to render my vision - while the makers of Guardians have unleashed a full candy store's worth of riotous colour to execute theirs.

Pratt remains a charismatic lead. So much so, my missus practically swoons each time he appears on screen.  Encouragingly, other characters - even supporting ones - are also fleshed out and given a chance to shine.

Vol 2 isn't without it's flaws. It probably stays a bit too long on the planet Ego. But otherwise, this is almost exactly how my eight year old self imagined the future.

Verdict:  Family theme and further character development nudge this ahead of Vol. 1


No comments:

Post a Comment