Monday 6 August 2018

Reivew: ET the Extra-Terrestial

Back in 1982, I had something of an obsession with ET. I distinctly remember seeing a magazine article with Spielberg next to ET and being instantly captivated.  It didn't matter that I wouldn't see the film for several long months - on a rare sans-parents trip to the cinema with my sister.

Afterwards, in those pre-VHS days - I mainlined ET through a selection of toys, audiobook (on cassette), novelisation, sticker album and even membership of the fan club. Strangely, I never watched the film again until now.

Compositing work aside, ET has aged well. The creature effects still impress. A well observed script helps the young cast feel naturalistic. William's score captures and enhances the mood of every scene.  Oddly, I found I'd forgotten so much of the film - especially its references to Peter Pan.

Verdict: 80s nostalgia in a bottle


No comments:

Post a Comment