Saturday 14 April 2018

Review: Unforgiven

It's been a lot time since I revisited Eastwood's much lauded Western - but I find my opinions haven't changed much. In short, I still can't see what the fuss is about.

It's a competent and involving example of the genre and I love Hackman's amusingly psychopathic lawman/incompetent house builder in this. His insistence on referring to Harris' character as "The Duck of Death" while providing a rather different interpretation of his past exploits never fails to raise a laugh as much as his explosions of sudden violence are shocking.

Eastwood is an older and even craggier version of the western hardman he's played forever. It's more controlled and oblique than in High Plains Drifter though.

But it's the framing device for the whole movie I struggle with. I simply don't buy it.  Freeman too seems a bit wasted and stereotyped.

Verdict: It's good, not great.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment