Sunday 8 April 2018

Review: Stake Land

I'll admit I don't really watch a lot of horror nowadays, but I was suckered (!) in by the cover of this vampiric road movie and it's huge number of four/five star reviews.

Does Stakeland live up to its reviews? I think it does - if you set your expectations accordingly. This is a low budget tour of a post-vampire apocalyptic America which is grounded in fine performances all round, some wilderness photography near worthy of the Deer Hunter and touches of intriguing exposition which really go to work on your imagination.

There are some gruesome moments as the vampires are closer to 30 days of night than Twilight in their realisation - but thankfully it never became unbearably tense.

I'm glad we watched it in daylight though.

Verdict:  Far right Christian cults enabling monsters make this a vampire movie for our times.

No comments:

Post a Comment