Saturday 27 January 2018

Review: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

The Big Finish audiobook version of L. Frank Baum's classic is an involving, but occasionally confusing adaptation.

I'm not a Oz fanatic (although I did enjoy Return of Oz), so it is hard for me to comment on how faithful this is to the original material or even the film (which although I've seen a few times I don't remember much of).

Overall, the  sound design is good with only the storm possibly slightly lack lustre. Dorman makes a good Dorothy too. Oddly, much of the rest of the cast are British sounding - with quite plummy accents.  I sometimes got confused between the Lion and the Scarecrow in particular.

One of the criticisms may be a problem with the source material. The plot is rather simplistic, and meandering with the team undertaking various mini quests where is is not always obvious what the point was. 

The narrator also abruptly changes close to the end - as the team are sent off on yet another quest.

I enjoyed the unionised flying monkeys, although the helium like voices of the munchkins are as annoying as ever.

Verdict:  Drifting over the rainbow.


No comments:

Post a Comment