Sunday 15 October 2017

Review: An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth

Hadfield - the Bowie covering space educator  and commander of the ISS -  turns much of conventional self-help and superhero "wisdom" on its head to talk about what it really takes to be a successful astronaut:

  • Realistic expectations i.e. you might never go into space, and should be OK with that. 
  • Continuous learning
  • Sweating, and enjoying the small stuff
  • Collaboration over competition - and aiming to be an active positive (plus 1) contributor.
  • Anticipating problems and preparing for them. 

The early chapters are also particularly evocative. His descriptions of lift-off and the experience of being in space itself are by turns terrifying, vertigo inducing and extraordinarily and wonderfully uplifting.

I also appreciated how humble Hadfield was and how he'd overcome obstacles like a fear of heights.

Meeting Chris Hadfield

Chris was due to give a keynote at IBM conference on disruption earlier in the week, and since it's a topic relevant to my work, I thought I would go.

As the event got nearer,  I wondered if it might actually be possible to meet him? An email to the organisers wasn't exactly encouraging. Chris was expected to leave immediately after his speech and wouldn't have time to sign anything (but they were also really excited to see him speak). Disappointing, but perhaps not unexpected. Still, and taking a leaf out of Chris' own book, I thought why not prepare for the eventuality in case I happened to meet in him in the corridor?

A day later, I had a hard back copy of his book in my hands, and I picked up and tested the Sharpie I got from Poundland.  Unfortunately, on arriving at the conference I was seated at the back without a great view - but managed to get an aisle seat (an unexpected bonus of the broken ankle).

As his inspiring talk came to an end, I got my book and pen ready - unsure which direction he would leave the stage. As it happened he left on the opposite side to me - and I doubt you have ever seen a man walking so quickly with a crutch as I raced to intercept him.

Chris Hadfield and me
I breathlessly caught up with him, and somehow gasped out, "Chris, Chris would you mind autographing my book?" His minder turned, saw the Darth boot and figured I was probably harmless - while Chris simply said, "Sure, come in here" - and I followed him into the green room.

A quick scribble later (he'd got into the habit of putting the cap on the end of Sharpies to avoid losing it, and it made it easier to handle) - and I was done. I thought I wouldn't chance my arm by asking for a photo as well - but as it turned out, I saw him again on the conference floor and after comparing injuries (he was recovering from a broken hand) and he kindly posed for one.

The missus reckons I look like the cat that got the cream in the photo - and perhaps she was right.  I've always wanted to go into space, and meeting an astronaut as quietly inspiring as Chris might be the closest I'll get.

Verdict: Mission accomplished. 



No comments:

Post a Comment