Monday 4 September 2017

Learning: The Power of Small Habits

This is an excellent talk by James Clear which summarises some of the changes I've made in my own life over the last year.  They include:

Making it harder to carry out bad habits. For example, I now place my phone at the other end of my bedroom so I don't immediately grab it each morning. This has two results: I have to get out of bed to turn the alarm off, and since I'm out of bed, I'm not inclined to interact with it.

Making it easier to carry out good habits. I'm vegetarian, but I figured I could probably do with eating more fruit and vegetables, plus as James says in his video - many of my vegetables would go bad and forgotten in the fridge. Each morning, I now stack all of the fruit and vegetables I want to consume each day next to my microwave.

Both of these are changes to my physical environment to make it easier to do the right thing (TM).

Aggregation of margin gains through repetition and tweaking. I tweak my morning habit stack to improve results. Most recently, I've taken to using Mel Robbin's morning framework of questions to upgrade my productivity:

1. Today, my project I'm working on....
2. This project matters to me because....
3. One small action I can take to move forward is...
4. Today, I will stop working at...





No comments:

Post a Comment