Tuesday 27 June 2017

Learning: My bias towards Conscious Competence

A few months ago, I did the latest iteration of our in-house management training covering staff management.  It covered the Four stages of competence:

It wasn't exactly unfamiliar, but this time we were given a number of staff management scenarios together with a selection of options against each one.  We had to select the option we would select for each scenario.

Almost without fail, I chose the option which was in the Conscious Competence segment.

Obviously, I wasn't varying my management style as much as I thought. But why?

I figured it was probably something to do with being a remote manager.  I trust my team to meet their goals with a fairly high degree of autonomy - and tend to hire on that basis. But doing so, meant I was probably hobbling some team members, while not supporting others enough (especially new recruits - who will inevitably be incompetent about some things - even if only how the organisation works).

I'm now making a more conscious (!) effort to adapt according to which stage I think they are at for a particular task etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment