Sunday 7 May 2017

Mini-review: Klymit LiteWater Dinghy Pack Raft

For years, I've dreamed of having my own boat - and that's a feeling that's only got stronger since I moved back to North Wales around five years ago.  There were only two problems:
  • I only have a bicycle or my own two feet for transport.
  • I know almost nothing about boats. 
So why did I want one? It simply boiled down to being able to do something more than swim when I came across a mountain lake  - and maybe do a small amount of noodling around in calm sheltered coastal waters. In both cases, the water is far too frigid to spend a lot of time swimming in it for much of the year. 

Last year, I became intrigued by the idea of inflatable kayaks - and even now I still rather like the look of them. But they were definitely on the stick-in-a-car-boot, rather than bicycle pannier or rucksack size of things.

I needed something a little smaller and lighter to carry. 

Enter the Klymit LiteWater Dinghy Pack Raft

The pack raft is basically a tougher and better designed version of the children's dinghy toys you sometimes see at the seaside. It rolls up into the size of large loaf, and weighs probably a little more.  It comes with an inflator, and a puncture repair kit. Note that it doesn't come with a paddle, so I paired it  with a matching (in terms of colour) telescopic paddle.  Together they fit into a small 25l rucksack with plenty of space spare for food, water, waterproofs etc.

It is inflated with an ingenious bag that you scoop air into, and then squeeze down and force air into the dinghy. It also doubles as a dry bag.  When inflating, make sure you blow up the seating area first. I found it best to inflate the seating area through blowing into it. It doesn't take much puff. It's not absolutely necessary to inflate the seating area at all, but it provides some insulation from the cold water beneath.

Maiden voyage


Getting in/out. I found it best to get in from the front, sitting down into it, and then shuffling back until you are the back of the raft with your feet out in front of you. Getting in/out via the side is almost guaranteed to let water in. Not enough to affect the buoyancy, but enough to get a soggy bottom.

It don't have huge amounts of experience, but I felt it tracked pretty well for a dinghy of its type.  Generally handling is good, and confidence inspiring to this beginner.

In terms of upgrades, I'll probably add some cord to one of the tie off points to make it easier to handle getting it in and out of water. Being quite light, a decent wind can make manoeuvring it about on-off dry land a bit tricky without something to hold onto.

Overall, I am very pleased with my new "boat" as it gives a new dimension to enjoying the countryside around here without taking up too much space in the rucksack.



No comments:

Post a Comment