Saturday 8 June 2019

Review: Christopher Robin

Sadly, for a film about rediscovering your childhood this didn't quite hit the spot for me although it did come very close at times.  Some of the toys, and especially Pooh's, Tigger's and Eeyore's sounded and looked wrong to my imagination.  I could have done with more Terry Gilliam like flights of fantasy in it.

More successful was McGregor's melancholic portrayal of an older Christopher Robin who is sinking under the weight of his adult responsibilities and especially the pressures of work.  The toy's dialogue felt right too, and for all of my problems with their realisation - their character animation is excellent. 

Lastly, I also came away with a new appreciation for the mindful wisdom of Pooh:
"Today is my favourite day."
"Doing nothing sometimes leads to the very best kind of something."
"What day is it? It is today Pooh. Oh I like that. Yesterday when it was tomorrow, it was too much day."
"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day".
"I know I don't need one, but I'd like one very very much please"
"Any day spent with you is my favourite day. So, today is my new favourite day."

Verdict:  Quotable script slightly lost in translation via casting to the screen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment