Wednesday 7 August 2019

Review: What we left behind: Looking back at Deep Space Nine

I was tidying my office last night and thought I'd have this on in the background while I did so. It was a bit of an odd choice as I count myself as nothing more than a casual Star Trek fan. I've watched most of the Next Generation, up to half of Enterprise, a dozen or so episodes of the original series and erm...just a smattering of episodes of Deep Space Nine.

Led by showrunner, Behr, this is a good overview and review of the series covering production elements such as casting and recasting, script writing (including a rather wonderful realisation of what an opening episode of a notional series 8 might look like), on-set dynamics etc.   It does occasionally get repetitive (we get that makeup was lengthy), but remains interesting rather than fascinating and revelatory throughout.

Has it persuaded me to actually revisit series myself? Yes, perhaps - I still have the boxset sitting on top of bookcase...

Verdict: Respectful review of somewhat sidelined Trek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment