Monday 21 August 2017

Review: How to Write a Review in 90 minutes

I grabbed this recently when it was on offer to see if I might find some tips for reviewing the books and films I mention on this blog. But I failed to notice it was a book primarily about reviewing theatre productions!

That said, it is still a useful little book with lots of helpful prompt questions for organising content and thinking up headlines. The guide to sub-editing and advice on writing succinct reviews quickly is also invaluable.

My favourite prompt questions were:
  • What kind of magic pill would this be?
  • How can you sum up how you feel in 3 words?
Doolan has an easy conversational writing style but there are a few repeated phrases and pieces of advice.

Verdict:  Good? Do better*.

*with this guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment